Charles bridge is a historic medieval stone bridge that crosses the vltava river in prague, czech republic.
It’s far a stone gothic bridge that connects the old town and lesser city (malá strana).
King vladislav ii had prague’s first stone bridge built inside the years 1160 to 1172. His spouse had advised him to build the bridge and it become given her call, judith.
In 1253 administration of the bridge was taken over via the knights of the move. Two thirds of the structure turned into destroyed via a flood in february 1342, necessitating the building of a alternative .
Today’s construction started out in 1357 underneath the auspices of king charles iv, and finished in the starting of the 15th century.
This new bridge changed into at the beginning known as stone bridge (kamenný most) or prague bridge (pražský most) however has been “charles bridge” in view that 1870.
Charles bridge is 621 meters (2,037 feet) lengthy and nearly 10 meters (33 ft) huge.
The bridge is adorned by a non-stop alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-fashion, at first erected around 1700 but now all changed by means of replicas.
The 30 often baroque statues and statuaries situated on the balustrade paperwork a unique connection of creative patterns with the underlying gothic bridge. Maximum sculptures were erected between 1683 and 1714. They depict diverse saints and customer saints honored at that time.
In the course of its history, charles bridge has suffered several screw ups and witnessed many ancient activities.
In the course of the give up of the thirty years’ battle in 1648, the swedes occupied the west financial institution of the vltava, and as they tried to enhance into the old metropolis the heaviest combating took place right at the bridge.
All through a brilliant flood in 1784, 5 pillars have been significantly broken and despite the fact that the arches did now not ruin down, the visitors at the bridge needed to be substantially restricted for a while.
The authentic stairway to kampa island changed into replaced by means of a brand new one in 1844.
In the starting of the 20 th century, charles bridge saw a steep rise of heavy visitors. The last day of the horse line on the bridge become 15 might also 1905, whilst it became replaced with an electric powered tram and later, in 1908, with buses.
On the quit of world warfare ii, a barricade become built inside the old city bridge tower gateway.
A capital repair of the bridge befell among 1965 and 1978, based totally on a collaboration among numerous clinical and cultural institutes.
Starting in 1965, all the statues have been systematically replaced via replicas, and the originals had been exhibited within the lapidarium of the national museum.