Although it looks like stone, the bulgarian st. Stephen church with its richly ornamented façade on the beaches of the golden horn in istanbul, turkey, is product of iron.
It turned into cast in vienna, floated down the danube and across the black sea on barges, and bolted collectively here in istanbul in 1871.
It’s far in all likelihood the most important prefabricated cast iron shape inside the international.
The bulgarian st. Stephen church in istanbul is the largest prefabricated cast iron shape within the world.
The bulgarian st. Stephen church become the culmination of a almost century-lengthy war for an impartial bulgarian church, which started overdue inside the 18th century.
Many bulgarian dioceses were discontent with the supremacy of the greek clergy—the bulgarian orthodox church being completely subordinated to the patriarch of constantinople.
Beginning from the 1850s the bulgarians initiated a useful warfare towards the greek clerics, traumatic their alternative with bulgarian ones.
With a view to ease tension, the ottoman sultan abdülaziz granted the proper to establish an independent bulgarian exarchate for the dioceses of bulgaria in 1870.
Initially, an wood church stood on the shore of the golden horn between balat and fener squares, in which the contemporary church is placed. After this church burnt down, the iron church was erected in its place.
Iron changed into selected in lieu of concrete because of the susceptible ground situations. The construction plans have been prepared through the istanbul-based totally ottoman armenian architect hovsep aznavur.
An worldwide competition was conducted to supply the prefabricated forged iron parts of the church, received by way of an austrian organisation, r. Ph. Waagner.
The prefabricated factors, weighing 500 tons, have been produced in vienna in 1893 to 1896 and transported to istanbul via ship through the danube and the black sea.
The bulgarian st. Stephen church wasn’t the first prefabricated forged iron church, but it become sincerely the largest. Inside the mid-nineteenth century, the UK shipped loads of corrugated iron sheet church buildings, referred to as tin tabernacles, to their colonies everywhere in the globe.
These churches have been initially costly, costing more than £2,000 for 500 seats, but they can be effortlessly erected. In the end, economies of scale decreased their fee to much less than a quarter toward the cease of the century. A lot of those church buildings survive to this day.